Memento


Threaded Wound

Brown felt, brown thread, melted glass





Artist Statement

    When I was three years old I had a hernia. These are common for young children but at the time, being the age I was, I thought I was going to die. This being one of my first memories I see it in flashes, like scenes in a movie. I was taken to the hospital to get three stitches and they put me under anesthesia. As I was gaining conciseness one again I have a flash of green hospital walls as they bring me out side to the waiting room where my mother is waiting there for me with a brown stuffed horse. I loved horses growing up so much to where I took riding lessons. I love my mom a lot too. The brown felt represents my horse, the green glass represents the cold isolating walls of the hospital room, the three pieces of broken glass represents my hernia being stitched, the stitches in the stuffed horse, and the innocent heart my mother put back together after being without her.

Comments

Popular Posts